Strengthening Recovery Through Strengthening Marriage (6 hour audio program)
by Kevin Skinner, PhD & Geoff Steurer, MS, LMFT
The discovery of a pornography addiction in a committed relationship often sends a couple into a confusing world of mistrust, disorientation, and insecurity. Join Dr. Kevin Skinner and Geoff Steurer, both licensed marriage and family therapists and specialists in treating pornography addiction, as they compassionately address common questions and dilemmas faced by couples throughout all stages of recovery from pornography addiction.
The specific recovery needs unique to addicts, injured partners, and the couple will be outlined. Additionally, couples will not only learn how to begin healing from the effects of pornography addiction, but will also gain valuable insights on how they can start to build long-term trust and intimacy.
In this six part audio series, couples will learn:
- Why Marriage and Porn Don’t Mix
- Performing Marital CPR after Discovery
- Yours, Mine, and Ours
- Addiction and Intimacy
- The Key Steps to Rebuilding Trust
- The Vision of Long-Term Recovery
Love You, Hate the Porn
by Mark Chamberlain, PhD & Geoff Steurer, MS, LMFT
A pornography addiction can feel like real infidelity to a spouse. There s nothing virtual about the damage done to a relationship, and the wounds are reopened each time a relapse is discovered. As tough as it is to overcome this addictive habit, healing a marriage damaged by pornography is even harder. For spouses, it s not enough for their partners to simply stop looking at porn. They need healing themselves. Some couples separate and divorce. Others stay together, but the strain of unresolved feelings takes a distinct toll. Many wonder, Can our marriage heal? Will we ever feel close again? Love You, Hate the Porn shows couples how to identify and address vulnerabilities in their relationship. Offers healing advice for spouses. Provides help for the struggling partner to avoid relapse. Focuses on how to make the marriage relationship stronger than it was before.
- A Parent’s Guide (1985) – www.lds.org/manual/a-parents-guide (LDS)
- Discussing Sexual Intimacy with Children - http://www.mormonchannel.org/family-conversations (LDS)
- Teaching Children about Healthy Sexuality and Dangers of Pornography - http://overcomingpornography.org/resources?lang=eng (LDS)
- Overcoming Pornography – www.overcomingpornography.org (LDS)
- Understanding Pornography and Sexual Addiction: A Resource for Parents and Leaders – This is a free PDF download (or you can purchase a hard-copy manual) that includes articles, lessons, and FAQ for parents. You can download the guide at http://salifeline.org/bookstore-item/understanding-pornography (LDS)
- What’s the Big Deal about Pornography? A Guide for the Internet Generation - Jill C. Manning, PhD
- The Trap – Karmel Newell and Dan Burr – A children’s story book to help teach children modesty and protect them from pornography (LDS)
- Good Pictures, Bad Pictures – www.goodpicturesbadpictures.com
- Fight the New Drug – www.fightthenewdrug.org - Educational site for teens and parents
- Pornography: The Great Lie – DVD and guide for parents and leaders to educate youth (Deseret Book)
- Let’s Talk About the Elephant in the Room: How LDS Women Can Protect Families from Pornography – Jill Manning, PhD (LDS)
- Hazards of Pornography poster – www.healthysex.com/page/do-you-know-the-difference
- He Restoreth My Soul - Don Hilton, MD (LDS)
- Love You, Hate the Porn: Healing a Relationship Damaged by Virtual Infidelity – by Mark Chamberlain & Geoff Steurer
- Strengthening Recovery Through Strengthening Marriage (6 hr audio program) – by Kevin Skinner & Geoff Steurer – available here
- How to talk to your child about sex- Richard and Linda Eyre
- From the Inside Out: Healthy Media Guidelines for LDS Families – Jill Manning, PhD (LDS)
- Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other – Sherry Turkle
- Family Safe Media Pledge (Signed by all family members) – free at www.DeseretBook.com/familypledge (LDS)
- Enough is Enough: www.enough.org - Internet safety 101 guide for parents
- Filtering and Accountability Software: K9 (Free): www.k9webprotection.com, Covenant Eyes: www.covenanteyes.com, Pandora’s Hope Router: www.pandorashope.com, Net Nanny: www.netnanny.com
- Clear Play DVD Players that edit out offensive content: www.clearplay.com
- Secret Shame: Isolation From Self – BYU profession Dr. James Harper – (search Google)
- Things as They Really Are Elder David Bednar – (search Google) (LDS)
- Utah Coalition Against Pornography: www.UtahCoalition.org - Annual conferences in Salt Lake City and St. George. Past conferences available on DVD.
- Beauty Redefined – www.beautyredefined.net Resources to protect against harmful media messages about bodies
- Women for Decency: www.womenfordecency.org - Nonprofit organization dedicated to help women raise the level of decency in their homes and communities.
- SA Lifeline - www.salifeline.org - Foundation dedicated to providing education and support to individuals, partners, couples, and parents dealing with the impact of pornography addiction. Educational DVDs available.